Specialty classes at the University Fitness Center take a holistic approach to physical activity. In many classes, participants can expect progressive learning and skill building over a multi-week session. Specialty classes are open to all who are eligible for Fitness Center membership, however current membership is not required so non-members are welcome.
Our “try before you buy” option gives you the opportunity to experience a live class to see if the program is right for you without obligation or pressure to enroll. Pricing for specialty classes is either paid in advance (payment has been received by the close of business the day prior to the start of the first class) or paid the day of (payment is received the day the class starts, provided there is space permitting). Some classes may offer pay-as-you-go pricing.
For more information please refer to our specialty class policy.
Jump to topic
Specialty Classes Offered
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program is offered online via Zoom only.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) teaches participants the principles of mindfulness and how to apply these principles to deal more effectively with stress and the demands of daily life. The program consists of body awareness exercises, meditation, gentle yoga and inquiry (guided discussion) along with daily formal and informal home practices. MBSR is taught in a secular manner.
The first half of each MBSR class provides an extended period of practice, incorporating different forms of guided meditation as well as gentle standing and lying down yoga. The second half of each class is dedicated to group discussion (inquiry) – exploring participants’ direct experiences with the formal and informal practices being taught during each class as well as their experiences from daily home practice (45 to 60 minutes). Each week’s practices build upon each of the previous weeks’ lessons.
Participation Requirements: Participants will need a laptop, smartphone or tablet with reliable internet connection. A quiet, protected space within the home is recommended.
- Orientation session: Sept. 13 | 6-7:30 p.m.
- Eight-week session: Sept. 27-Nov. 15 | 6-8:30 p.m. (the first and last class will meet 6-9 p.m.)
- Saturday silent retreat: Nov. 6 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Instructors: Dr. Tim Riley and Shelly Ungemach, MSW, LSW
Tuition and registration
- $250 – Full tuition
- $150 – Penn State students, Penn State Health residents and MBSR alumni
- $450 – Benefactor
Penn State College of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ per individual class. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Penn State is an approved provider as defined by Pa. Code Sections 47.36(a)(3), 48.36(a)(3), and 49.36(a)(3). Social workers, marriage and family therapists, and professional counselors licensed by the state of Pennsylvania can earn 2.5 clock hours of continuing education for completing each class session.
Continuing Education credits have been approved for licensed psychologists. Penn State College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Penn State College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Full attendance at the sessions and evaluation of each individual session attended is required to receive CE credit for psychologists. Partial credit will not be awarded. Late arrivals or early departures will preclude awarding of CE credits.
Registered Nurses: 2.5 CE. This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Specialty classes take a holistic approach to physical activity at the University Fitness Center. You can expect a progressive learning and skill-building experience over a multi-week session.
- Enrollment for a multi-week program is established no later than the second class of the session. No new participants are accepted into a program after the second class.
- If space allows, new participants may take the first class without paying (“Try Before You Buy”); however a class may fill its capacity at the first class. There is no guarantee that space will remain past the first class.
- Pricing for specialty classes is either paid in advance (payment has been received by the close of business the day before the start of the first class) or paid the day of the start of the first class session (payment is received the day the class starts, provided there is space permitting).
- Some participants may be eligible for pay-as-you-go pricing. Please inquire for additional information.
- We are unable to issue any refunds, regardless of circumstances, unless the program or session is cancelled.
- Program and class information is communicated exclusively through email and the University Fitness Center’s Facebook page.