Specialty classes at the University Fitness Center take a holistic approach to physical activity. In many classes, participants can expect progressive learning and skill building over a multi-week session. Specialty classes are open to all who are eligible for Fitness Center membership, however current membership is not required so non-members are welcome.
Our “try before you buy” option gives you the opportunity to experience a live class to see if the program is right for you without obligation or pressure to enroll. Pricing for specialty classes is either paid in advance (payment has been received by the close of business the day prior to the start of the first class) or paid the day of (payment is received the day the class starts, provided there is space permitting). Some classes may offer pay-as-you-go pricing.
For more information please refer to our specialty class policy.
Jump to topic
Specialty Classes Offered
Penn State Health Mindfulness Programs
We live in a world that has become increasingly distracted. Many of us are juggling busy schedules, trying to keep up with the demands of work or family life. In the face of stress or pain we may find ourselves coping in ways that do more harm than good. Mindfulness offers a different way to meet the challenges that arise in our lives. It is a practice that is beautifully simple and practical, and yet also a radical departure from our mainstream way of living.
Reasons to practice mindfulness are as varied and personal as our individual lives. Over 40 years of scientific evidence shows the effectiveness of mindfulness for stress, burnout, anxiety, depression, and chronic pain, among other problems. Better yet, these practices have been shown to enhance quality of life for healthy people. We can all benefit from building these time-honored practices in our modern lives.
Regardless of our motivations, mindfulness offers each and every one of us an opportunity to know ourselves better, so that we might live fuller lives, with less stress and more joy. See which Mindfulness Program at Penn State Health is right for you today.
- Specialty classes take a holistic approach to physical activity at the University Fitness Center. You can expect a progressive learning and skill-building experience over a multi-week session.
- Enrollment for a multi-week program is established no later than the second class of the session. No new participants are accepted into a program after the second class.
- If space allows, new participants may take the first class without paying (“Try Before You Buy”); however a class may fill its capacity at the first class. There is no guarantee that space will remain past the first class.
- Pricing for specialty classes is either paid in advance (payment has been received by the close of business the day before the start of the first class) or paid the day of the start of the first class session (payment is received the day the class starts, provided there is space permitting).
- Some participants may be eligible for pay-as-you-go pricing. Please inquire for additional information.
- We are unable to issue any refunds, regardless of circumstances, unless the program or session is cancelled.
- Program and class information is communicated exclusively through email and the University Fitness Center’s Facebook page.